1738 Union St. Suite 300,
San Francisco, California 94123
Training & Experience
- Years in Practice: 19 Years
- School: California School of Professional Psychology
- Year Graduated: 1993
- License No. and State: PSY14801 California
ello, I am Dr. Louis (Lou) Morello, a San Francisco psychologist and psychotherapist with a specific emphasis on individual psychotherapy. My work is dedicated to helping a person make significant changes, reach a more satisfying personal life and maintain a higher level of functioning with oneself and relationally with others.
As a psychologist I evaluate and treat individuals who seek help for depression, anxiety, life dissatisfaction (e.g., in relationships and work) and relational trauma (e.g., painful or traumatic childhood environments and severe malattunement). I also have 20+ years of experience treating people who struggle with substance use and who may have a co-occurring depression, anxiety, trauma and/or compulsive behaviors.
You do not have to be in crisis to be in therapy. You may be interested in personal growth and/or growth as part of long-term recovery. You may be interested in learning about and experiencing more of yourself, may want more meaning in you life, and may want to improve your connection and sense of belonging to others (sometimes to stop distressing interpersonal patterns).
In your search for a therapist it is important that the therapist is experienced, well trained and someone with whom you feel emotionally safe to talk. I also believe that a meaningful portion of the therapist’s current practice should be devoted to the types of problems/concerns you plan to bring to the therapy. Call me and let’s talk. I’ll answer your questions, and we can decide if working together would be a good fit. There is no obligation from the phone consultation. I am also willing to help you find a therapist that fits your specific needs.
Areas of Focus
People see me for many reasons, including but not limited to:
- Anxiety (General free-floating; Social, Specific Phobia)
- PTSD and Relational Trauma (sometimes referred to as Complex PTSD resulting from significant and enduring parent-child malattunement)
- Addiction/Substance Abuse and Dependence
- Breaking the Cycle of Misuse (Harm Reduction and Process towards Abstinence)
- Relapse Prevention
- Long-Term Recovery (a maturational process)
- Co-Occurring Disorders (Depression, Anxiety, Sexual issues or Trauma occurring with Active Substance Misuse)
- Compulsive Enactments (e.g., emotional overeating, sex, porn, somatization, procrastination, avoidance behaviors)
- Codependency/Boundary Issues
- Grief and Loss
- Painful Life Transitions (may involve a relationship, career, health)
- Maladaptive Relational Patterns
- Relationship and Attachment issues
- Interest in Personal Growth and Healing of Shame
Please explore this website to learn more about my practice and me.